UN - CLIMATE CHANGE COP 25 2019
PROFITING FROM SUFFERING - Given that billions of dollars worth of indulgences are at stake for big countries like China, India and Brazil, this is a huge issue for those with large investments in oil, coal and even beef production - where they will spin out their profiteering for as long as they are allowed to get away with it, using delaying tactics that they know will cause suffering in other geographical locations, that they do not appear to care about. The protestors are correct on this. The immediate action to counter the present emergency is not going to happen, meaning that lobbyists should perhaps ramp up their activism to include proposing or even demanding changes in the law.
It may be that introducing new laws to make local councils, energy companies, car makers, ship builders and the aviation industry directly responsible, and ministers who promote such anti-earth policies criminals.
Lobbyist might therefore consider proposing new laws at United Nations level, to make it illegal to threaten or kill any life on earth, by any action or inaction, directly or indirectly. We should criminalize those responsible, to make them answerable in the International Courts of Justice. We should make the identified climate criminals pay for the damage they are causing - for taking lives and for destroying natural habitats. Fines could be levied against those organizations and administrations that are not acting swiftly enough to avert the meltdown that is happening. The fines would need to be hefty to be anywhere near Just Satisfaction. We will be working on the details of such legislation and write to the UN with such proposal ASAP. Feel free to email us with any suggestions for THE PLANET EARTH ACT 2020.
We must remember where the United Nations came from. We must look to where they should be heading as representatives of the electorate.
30 OCTOBER WITHDRAWAL - Due to continued unrest at the host nations, President Sebastian Pinera formally withdraws Chile from hosting the conference.
COP 25 was postponed on 30 October 2019. As UNFCCC Executive Secretary Patricia Espinosa announced at that time, the Government of Chile informed the UNFCCC Secretariat on 30 October of its decision not to host COP25, in view of the difficult situation that the country is undergoing. The UNFCCC Secretariat is exploring alternative hosting options.
A pre-COP meeting took place in Costa Rica, and aimed to act as a bridge between the UN Climate Action Summit and COP 25. It also provided an opportunity to discuss the IPCC Special Report on the Ocean and Cryosphere in a Changing Climate and unresolved issues from COP 24.
OUR (SUGGESTED) SIX STEPS TOWARD A COOLER PLANET
1. TRANSPORT: Phase out polluting vehicles. Governments aim to end the sale of new petrol, and diesel vehicles by 2040 but have no infrastructure plan to support such ambition. Such infrastructure should exceed the performance of fossil fuel filling stations, prolong EV battery life and provide power grids with a measure of load leveling. Any such system should seek to obviate the provision of millions of fast charge points where implementation could prove to be a logistical nightmare and an inefficient energy delivery system. This may involve international agreement as to energy storage format and statute to steer car makers to collaborate (in part) in a world of competition.
Marine transport can be carbon neutral given the right policies, with phased transition in specific stages such as not to unduly penalize present investment in LNG shipping and other recent MARPOL compliant IC powered vessels. Future cargo vessel should be at least in part powered by renewable energy, on the road to zero carbon, making allowances for technology catch-up from 2030 with scrappage trade in on outdated ships and marine taxes on internal combustion engines. It is important that taxes collected may not be used for any other purpose by any participating country. In the UK taxes are collected for one purpose then used for another leading to deficits. E.g. just 5% of road taxes is used for roads. This is a recipe for bankruptcy and huge national debt. Such practices should stop in the interests of sustainability and transparency for the electorate.
2. RENEWABLES: Renewable energy should replace carbon-based fuels (coal, oil and gas) in our electricity for homes, factories, heating and transport. Coal and nuclear power plants should be phased out.
3. HOUSING: On site micro or macro generation is the best option, starting with new build homes that are both affordable and sustainable by design to replace crumbling housing stocks. Encourage building in timber to provide carbon lock from a renewable natural resource. Make sustainable housing a permitted development. Taking out the need to apply for planning permission, will cut out council blockers from the decision making process, to stamp out empire building agendas.
4. AGRICULTURE: We need to grow many more trees to absorb carbon emissions from a growing population, air travel, and to build new homes. We must control illegal slash and burn forest clearances and crack down on offenders. We should promote reductions in food waste and eating of foods that use less energy to produce. Educating children on these matters in schools and via campaigns such as no meat Mondays, should be part of ordinary study.
5. INDUSTRY: Factories should be aiming for solar heating and onsite renewable energy generation. EV parking and even service facilities should be part of new industrial estates as part of any building permissions.
6. POLITICS: - National governing bodies need to adopt rules to eliminate administrative wastages, to include scaling down spending on war machines, increasing spend on educating the public and supporting sustainable social policies that mesh with other cultures. This includes fostering policies and making funds available to close links in the technology chain to make up for lost time. Kleptocratic empire building must cease in the search for natural equilibrium. Taxes should be used only for the stated purpose. Borrowing that increases national debts and GHGs in the repaying must cease.
SPAIN CALLING GRETA - Spain's environment minister said the government would help Greta Thunberg cross the Atlantic in time to attend the upcoming UN climate talks.
The 16-year-old made it from Sweden to California by boat, train and electric car before Chile's government announced it was canning the summit because of political unrest in the South American nation. The COP 25 summit will now be held in Spain.
"As #COP25 has officially been moved from Santiago to Madrid I'll need some help," Ms Thunberg tweeted from Los Angeles.
FOR ACTION! - The COP decided at its 24th session that COP 25 will take place in Chile and requested the Bureau to decide on the dates of the sessions.
WILL THERE HAVE BEEN ANY REAL AND MEASURABLE PROGRESS IN 2019 ?
That is the burning question. We owe it to our children to put the brakes on the uncontrolled use of fossil fuels. All over the world schools are experiencing strike action in protest at the inaction of the United Nations members to get their act together. We need to turn the ship and we have a very small rudder. When the captain of the Titanic spotted the iceberg that sank the White Star Line's most famous ship, he tried to avoid the giant floating ice cube by putting the rudder hard over and reversing the propellers, but the ship could not turn in time to avoid a collision.
Where Greta Thunberg sent the United Nations a clear message in December 2018, how much progress will have been made by the Parties. Wil we have a bigger rudder than the Titanic, or will planet earth crash and burn. Since the inception of the COP talks, there has been very little action and a lot of hot air.
All the while we have playground bullies like Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin, the world is in danger. Russia and the USA need to grow up and stop beating up the countries that cannot afford to defend themselves. Climate Criminals like these two super powers need to look long and hard at China, where they use coal for energy, but have agreed to a call to action and are building solar and wind farms like there is no tomorrow.
WHAT IS COP ? - The United Nations Framework Convention (UNFCCC) is the international response to climate change. . It is a treaty that establishes the basic obligations of the 196 Parties (States) plus the European Union to combat climate change. It was signed at the Earth Summit in 1992 and came into force in 1994.
The Conference of the Parties (COP) is the supreme decision-making body of the Convention. The Parties meet annually to review progress in the implementation of the Convention where other instruments that support the implementation of the Convention are proposed, evaluated and approved.
The first COP was held in Berlin in 1995. To date, 24 COPs have been held, the last one in Katowice, Poland, in December 2018.
2020 COP 26/ postponed
2021 COP 26/ Glasgow, Scotland 1-12 November
UN CLIMATE ACTION PORTFOLIOS
The UNFCCC secretariat is located at two different locations.
LINKS & REFERENCE
DESERTIFICATION COP HISTORY
BIODIVERSITY COP HISTORY
This website is provided on a free basis as a public information service.